It is likely that Stareton dates back to the anglo-saxon period (410-1066AD)
because it was so well established in the early medieval period
(1066-1539AD). The Stoneleigh Leger Book provides some of the earliest information on the land north of the River Avon belonging to Stoneleigh village & to the south belonging to Stareton. In the Domesday Book both belonged to the King. The Domesday Book was commissioned in
December 1085 by William the Conqueror, who invaded England in 1066. The
first draft was completed in August 1086. In 1154 Stoneleigh was granted by Henry II to the monks of Radmore (Cannock Chase) who established a Cistercian house, first at Cryfield-Coventry & then moved to the current Stoneleigh Abbey site. At the same time Henry II (1133-1189) granted Stareton to Simon the Cook (alias Simon Hasteler) who later passed on the estate to his brother William. *
In the mid 13th century Hasteler's successor (de Arderne) conveyed
Stareton Manor to the abbot of Stoneleigh & thereby uniting Stareton
& Stoneleigh until the dissolution of the Abbey (1536-1540) by
King Henry VIII. *
Ancient foundation stones on the River Avon at Stareton (above) on site of the medieval mill and bridge.
The Historian Dr Alcock**** has also observed some decaying masonry (see above) in what was to become Stoneleigh Deer Park, which he interpreted as the remains of the manor house of the medieval Lords of Stareton.
Before the foundation of the abbey there was a chantry chapel or hermitage 'apude le Cloude iuxta Startone'. There are records showing William Hasteler, Lord of Stareton, was given Edmund the hermit and the brothers of 'Cluda' with a house & croft as a gift from his brother. He later gave them more land near 'Sprottefford' which was next to what was to become Cloud Bridge (c1175-1224) (see link). Edmund was buried in the chantry chapel & subsequently no priest replaced him. Presumably abandoned, the building was later burnt down by thieves. *